University of Eastern Finland/Kuopio University Hospital
Jari Kellokoski, Professor in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Our unique teaching concept offers the most advanced tools for modern dental education – from simulation units and software to centralised infection control, dental care units, CAD/CAM solutions and 2D and 3D imaging devices.
In addition to our own products and services, we have a long history of working together with an extensive network of companies that provide specialised and complimentary solutions regarding, for example, water quality, haptic simulations and video streaming.
The Planmeca teaching concept offers significant cost-savings to universities by means of centralised software upgrades, centralised infection control and hygiene protocols, remote monitoring and user assistance, as well as proactive maintenance. These procedures decrease the total cost of ownership and extend the lifetime of the investment.
Planmeca’s extensive experience from a large number of projects worldwide supports the school or hospital in making economic decisions and long-lasting investments.
Folktandvården’s training clinic for adult dentistry, Institute of Odontology, University of Gothenburg
Docent Åsa Leondardt, Chief Dentist, Head of training clinic
At the heart of all Planmeca products is our world-leading software that meets all the imaging and dental unit management requirements set by any dental facility.
Our X-ray units enable 3D imaging with an even lower patient radiation dose than standard 2D panoramic imaging and thus offer a great amount of detailed diagnostic information at a very low patient dose.
Our unique 3x3D concept brings together a CBCT image, a 3D face photo and 3D model scan into one 3D image – all using one X-ray unit and software. This creates a virtual patient in 3D, bringing completely new dimensions to maxillofacial diagnostics.
CAD/CAM technology is transforming traditional dental education and bringing completely new possibilities to both teaching and learning. Planmeca’s CAD/CAM solutions are seamlessly integrated into our Planmeca Romexis® software, meaning that all necessary clinical information is always available in one place. Our unique 3D virtual patient concept can be combined with CAD/CAM data, creating a perfect educational and clinical tool for prosthetic dentistry. All information can also be accessed from iPad devices, so students can practice their new skills wherever they are.
Planmeca Romexis® Compare is a powerful self-assessment tool that enables students to evaluate and measure their work individually against a master template. From learning dental morphology through virtual digital waxing to comparing their work to their school’s chosen ‘ideal’ – students get detailed objective feedback so they can focus on perfecting their clinical skills.
•Universities and hospitals
•Large clinic chains
•Medium sized clinics
•Private practices with one treatment room
•3D intraoral scans
•Native support for Windows and Mac OS
•Planmeca iRomexis™ mobile iOS viewer app
•Planmeca mRomexis™ mobile viewer for Android, iOS and web browser
•Planmeca Romexis® Cloud information exchange service
Our Planmeca Romexis® software offers a unique radiology approval process for the needs of modern-day dental education.
•Guarantees a safe learning environment for students by controlling their access to X-ray devices.
•Radiation is disabled until the teacher accepts the student’s X-ray acquisition request.
•After the request has been accepted, the X-ray unit is enabled for image acquisition.
•The student then evaluates the quality of the captured images, and the teacher approves the evaluation.
•The student performs a radiological interpretation using intuitive menus in Planmeca Romexis.
Planmeca Romexis® offers an intelligent option for teaching environments: the teacher can search for images acquired by specific students or with specific Planmeca X-ray devices. This offers an easy way to evaluate student performance. The teacher can also grant user permissions to each student separately.
All Planmeca dental units can be connected to Planmeca Romexis® Clinic Management software. It collects information of all dental unit usage and thus acts as a practical tool for student evaluation and scientific research. It allows storing personal dental unit settings, such as chair positions and instrument settings, and enables applying specified user restrictions for different user groups (e.g. more advanced options for post-graduate students).
Benefits for large university clinics
• Access accurate, real-time information on all Planmeca equipment usage
• Modernise clinic planning by basing decisions on clear data
• Automatically generate mileage reports to plan unit servicing based on actual usage
• Achieve significant cost-savings through better planning
• Monitor clinic status with all networked units in one easy-to-read graphical overview
• Benefit from improved and more efficient user-assistance
• Achieve significant time and cost-savings with remote software updates
• Increase efficiency and flexibility by using our software on mobile devices
Benefits for students and faculty staff
• Easily adjust and save individual chair positions and instrument presets
• Instantly access saved user settings from all units in the clinic
Benefits for unit maintenance
• Conveniently monitor units through remote connections
• Proactive maintenance cuts costs by preventing downtime
Department of Dental Medicine, Karolinska Institutet
Dentist Jana Johansson Huggare, Project Manager
• Lean and narrow backrest, side-lifting chair and small cuspidor leave the floor free for stools – allowing the dentist and assistant to get near the patient
• Small instrument console near the patient with no need to lock it, instruments are light to activate
• The instrument arm can be positioned on either side of the spittoon – easy adaptation for different kind of needs
- Alternative working styles: right or left-handed users
- For teaching either two or four-handed dentistry
• Advises the user with clear texts and symbols
• Simple to use, only the relevant functionalities for selected instruments are shown
• Available in several languages
• The staff can concentrate on teaching clinical work, students can concentrate on learning
• Visiting teachers can also easily start working with the unit
• Suitable for heavy use at universities
• Future dentists learn the most modern technology
• Studying and clinical work is fun and motivating
• Timeless design that lasts the whole lifetime of the unit
• Vivacious upholstery colour options for elegant and colourful rooms
• Small space requirements save in building costs
• Possibility of shared instrument use reduces instrument costs
Faculty of Dentistry, International Islamic University Malaysia
Lecturer and Clinical Coordinator, Dr Hikmah Mohd Nor
Faculty of Dentistry, International Islamic University Malaysia
Chief Dental Technologist, MD Arshad
Planmeca offers the most advanced and versatile 2D and 3D imaging devices and software to meet all your university’s extraoral and intraoral imaging needs.
Our X-ray units are easy to use with a clear touch screen guiding the user through the imaging process. The students learn correct patient positioning and exposure techniques using state-of-the-art devices, while our advanced radiology approval process guarantees radiation safety.
Our intraoral X-ray unit can be installed in a special lead-lined cabinet. The students can easily and safely practise intraoral techniques using a phantom head together with our intraoral sensors or imaging plates.
Planmeca’s digital imaging solutions offer new teaching possibilities in radiology as well as improved radiation hygiene. The Planmeca Romexis radiology approval process prevents unauthorised use of all radiation-emitting devices and guarantees a safe learning process.
Our global Planmeca Digital Academy training concept offers leading universities and clinics a great opportunity to benefit from Planmeca’s cutting-edge technology and take their dental training business to the next level with a trusted partner.
Planmeca Digital Academy brings together the university’s expertise and skilled faculty staff and the latest dental equipment and software solutions. This cooperation model offers advanced dental training and continuous learning for today’s dental professionals.
Planmeca and the University of Turku have founded a joint venture company, Nordic Institute of Dental Education (NIDE). The Finland-based company offers high-quality continued education courses to international dental professionals.
The objective is to export and share the exceptional Nordic know-how in digital dentistry, utilising the academic qualifications of the University of Turku and the high technologies developed by Planmeca, as well as their global dental network. The courses are organised at the University of Turku and in Planmeca’s headquarters in Helsinki. The topics of the courses are related to rapidly evolving dental technologies and their application in modern dentistry, e.g. 3D imaging, prosthodontics, endodontics, biomaterials science, orthodontics and CAD/CAM technologies. The University of Turku admits the ECTS credits and course certificates to the students.